If you already have invested in a curly wig earlier, why waste your money again on a straight haired wig now that the fashion for curly hair is over? You can instead straighten up the curly wig at home and wear it again with élan.
Most people who wish to change their curly wigs to straight wigs usually have the wigs made from fibers like kanekelon, modlon or the tokoyalon. Here are some great ways to straighten up the curls on the wigs with some different methods:
The iron straightening method- A Look
- Take the wig and clean it thoroughly. It should be clean, heat safe and dry.
- Now take the straightening iron and follow the directions of use that comes with the iron. Before using it on the wig, make sure that the straightening iron is working well and is also sufficiently warm.
- It’s time now to set the wig on a stand so that it is easier to iron it. You can also use a pitcher or a wig stand for setting up the wig for your convenience.
- Once your straightening iron is ready and the wig is placed on a stand, start with the ironing from the bottom of the wig. Always ensure that you take up only small strands of hair at a time. Also you should keep in mind that the straightener iron should not be kept on the wig for a long time as the hair strands will burn instantly and damage the wig irreparably.
- Once the bottom parts of the wig are straightened, you should move towards the middle area of the wig.
- Once the middle portion is done with, you can move to the top. The main idea is to work your way up from the bottom instead of straightening an entire strand of hair in a single go.
- Once the straightening process is over, you can let the wig get cooled for a while. Once the wig is cold, you can comb it gently and carefully and check thoroughly whether there are any loose strands of hair.
- If you wish, you can also groom the now straightened wig by cutting the flyways and the side away to give it a clean and a complete look.
- If you like the final look of the wig, you can spray a coat of hairspray on the wig so that it goes not become curly again.
Straightening the curls of the wig with the hot water method- Follow it
The hot water method is ideal and best for both the curling and the straightening of the wig. To start with the method, follow the below mentioned tips:
- Stand the wig on a setting like a wig stand or a pitcher so that the wig falls down without getting unruly. It is a good way to work on the wigs without keeping both of your hands engaged.
- Boil some water, ideally a kettle full of water will do. If your hair wig is long, you would need 1.5 liters of water and if your wig is short, 1 liter of water will be sufficient for the straightening process.
- When the boiling water is ready, you should carefully pour the entire water over the wig so that the entire wig gets wet in water. While the heat of the boiling water will soften the plastic fibers of the wig, they will begin to pull towards the downside.
- When the wig is wet, let it be and never ever brush or comb it when it is wet as that will only damage the wig in a bad manner.
- Wait till the wig is dry completely. Once it is dry, you can use a wide brush with soft bristles to straighten the wig. If the curls on the wig are heavy and frequent. You might need to redo the process several times for getting it straightened.
- Remember, repeating the hot water method will not damage the wig if you take ample precaution during the treatment process. You can also redo the treatment several times on the wig while it is still wet.
- Remember, this process of straightening is permanent and if you wish to curl the wig once again, you have to get it re curled once again.
- The process of straightening the wig hair is basically remolding of the plastic and the fiber to give it a brand new shape which cannot be mold back to its previous shape.
Straighten the curly wig with a blow dryer- follow the steps
Just like the hot water method, you can also use a blow dryer to straighten a curly wig. How to go about it? Here you go:
- Start the process by brushing your wig thoroughly with a soft bristled wide comb or brush. This will help you in softening up the curls on the wig.
- Start from the bottom of the wig. Pull up most of the hair in parts on top leaving aside some strands of hair at the bottom. The best way to go about it is to make separate sections of the hair on the wig and take it from there one by one.
- Now spray some water on the first part of the wig that you wish to straightened. This will help you in keeping the hair smooth while heat is applied on the strands. This will also help you in preventing the synthetic fibers of the wig from getting too hot.
- Now spread the hair section and turn your blow dryer on. Brush the hair strands and use the dryer with other hand at the same time from top to bottom in sections. The best hotness quotient is to keep the blow dryer in warm mode.
- Once the first part of the hair section is done, try the same method with the other sections too. You will definitely see a marked difference on the texture and the style of the wig.
Enjoy the look.